Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Love What You're Doing

I have heard Donald Trump say: "The most important thing in life is to love what you’re doing, because that’s the only way you’ll ever be really good at it." There are a few things I think I'm good at and simultaneously like doing.

Being a Mom is the first one. Of course I struggle with some parental decisions, have power struggles with my kids, and perhaps indulge them a little too much at times. But because I love being a Mom, I think I do pretty well at it. I hope all other Moms feel the same way.

Being a legal Professional Development Coordinator is another. I've evolved into this job at this firm over the past almost 14 years. Of course I love it, otherwise I would not have been here this long. And I have to think I'm good at it because otherwise I would not have been here this long...especially in this economy. No - I don't LOVE coming to work every single day. I have ups and downs, good days and bad days, and stressful days, and boring days - everyone does. But overall, I really love what I do, where I do it, and who I do it with.

Part of my job allows me to plan meetings and events - which I REALLY love. I think had I not found this career, I'd be an event or meeting planner. That has bled over into my personal life - not just the parties I host at home (Kick-A$$ New Year's Eve and St. Patrick's Day parties if I say so myself), but helping out at friends' parties, relatives' weddings, school and church events. I agreed to co-chair the Auction committee for church this year for many reasons, not the least of which is I love doing it. Producing an event where others have a good time with friends, and that raises money for a great cause is incredibly satisfying. And I believe that is why I'm good at it.

I encourage everyone to think about what you are doing and really think about if you love it. Are you doing it to just pay the bills? Or because you've been doing it for so long you can't imagine doing anything else? Or because you are obligated in some way? Or because you think that's what everybody thinks you should be doing?

Because even if you're really good at it, and don't really love it, what good is doing it?

Do you really want to ask yourself these questions 10, 20, 30 or 40 years from now...when it may be too late to make a change?

1 comment:

Johnna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.